Mama's Got a Pair of New Shoes! ...Athletic shoes, that is.

If you are an athlete in any form (novice, intermediate, etc.) and feel a bit clueless about athletic shoes like I do, read these FAQ's that I (and other people on my fitness team) have asked in the past. It's worth the read!


How often do you buy new athletic shoes?
It's a question that I've been learning more about as I exercise on a very regular basis. As I have learned, you should not give your running shoes a birthday. (This also goes for people who do high-impact exercise as well!) I recently found out that I blew through my first pair of serious running shoes in SEVEN MONTHS! This blew my mind.

I'm not a runner. Should I buy running shoes?
Not necessarily! If you are strictly a cross-trainer (ie. kickboxing, high-impact, interval training), running shoes may not be the best bet for you. Running shoes and cross-training shoes offer different levels of support for your feet and body as a whole. It is in your best interest to go to a runner's specialty store and see if you need running or cross-training shoes.

Can you wear down athletic/running/cross-training shoes without running?
Surprisingly, yes! If you worked as, say, a waitress and are on your feet all day, you are putting pressure on the cushion of your shoes. Standing in athletic shoes for one hour puts the equivalent of one mile of wear on the shoes. Even more so, other forms of cardiovascular exercise (like kickboxing, Zumba, P90X, Insanity, etc.) puts pressure on the cushion of your shoes, thus wearing them down.


What happens if you work out a lot and DON'T buy new shoes?
Wearing athletic shoes that are too old mean that the cushions of the shoes are too compressed to provide adequate support. Some runners notice certain pain surfacing when it's time to buy new shoes. (I think that my time is here to buy new shoes- I am noticing inner knee pain on one leg.) Not giving your body the support it needs while doing strenuous exercise can result in short- and long-term physical pain and injury. Don't be cheap with your joints! If you exercise almost daily, INVEST in the right shoes and BE WISE ENOUGH to know when to buy new ones!


Post first time publish here: http://amandaplazek.blogspot.com/2013/10/mamas-got-pair-of-new-shoes-athletic.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog